We finished our product a week ahead of schedule which left us a good amount of time to work on our branding and work on a documentary style video to show off our product.
The branding however for this project did not involve us having to hand in and design a logo as such since our product would be featured in a catalogue of products that would adopt one design. This meant that we only had to focus on submitting a location shoot for the catalogue. We took a number of strong images to use:
In the end, we decided on using this image for our location shoot:
This image was strong since it showed a positive reaction from the child towards the product which was what we were hoping for when designing the mobile and the baby being more of the focus of the photo also helped contribute to the image's strength. We used this image on the website that was created to showcase the products as well as the catalogue our lecturer had asked us to design as a class.
Finally, we were asked to submit a group portrait as well as a head shot for the catalogue.
While we would not be graded on it, our class organised an exhibition of our work at the end of the semester which would open the night of our final presentation for our prototypes. Named after the title of the brief, 'Atelier Whisper' showcased the group's 13 different projects that each had a different approach to whispering. This was done completely off our own backs - everything from designing a catalogue to setting up a fully functioning website for the night was done to a high standard to try and feel as professional as possible. The night was a complete success by normal standards, and had the biggest turn out on the first night since 'Digital Hallway', the brief for this module from two years ago.
Overall, this module was by far the best undertaken in my three years of study. I found it challenging yet also good practise for fourth year. It was a good sense of how large the work load would be, even divided amongst three people. Since the projects were mainly driven by us as a group, it was a good lesson in coordination and time management - it was important to meet the tasks we'd agreed upon at the start of the week since it kept the process going and kept our stress levels down. Constant iterations was always the key to our process - without them we would not have created a stronger piece visually than if we'd stuck with traditional routes. Getting out of our comfort zones in terms of trying new things (using the laser cutter, working with acrylic) was also something good that I took away from this project, as well as gaining invaluable skills in using and prototyping with Arduino.