The second model that I decided to create was a use metal wire to make a sculpture of a root structure. This was to give a bit of context to the root models and to present the information in an interesting yet sturdy way. The wire created a cool effect and was actually very simple to manipulate; it was all twisted by hand.
With two of the models complete, I decided to look at how I was going to present these for the exhibition. I decided to keep it simple and make plaques out of plywood, containing the title of the project, the name of myself and Dimitris and a brief description about each model. Each model would have a the same description apart from the final line, where it would say what media the model had been created using. Two plaques were made on the laser cutter for a nice finish, and the description for the third model was cut directly into it, in the bottom left corner.
Finally, I began working on the third model which we had decided would definitely be a digital model, as to play to my strengths. I decided to use Adobe Edge to create a simple web animation that would detail how the roots grew in order to distribute themselves in the soil. This was done by taking the 6 colours from the original model and showing them what happens at each colour (red being the most dense, dark blue being the least). The animation includes short pieces of text to show which nutrient the root was growing towards e.g. nitrogen, phosphorus etc.
With everything complete, the exhibition for presenting work was set up. My laptop was used to display the animation alongside the other artefacts. I decided to bring down the iterations of the final model to give it a bit more context and show my working. We were also asked to present a sketchbook of our research and findings for further context.
A link to the web animation can be found here.